Monday, March 31, 2008

Places I fell in love with over the Internet

I am a bit of a nomad. I attended three high schools on two continents. I went to three institutes of higher learning. Two of those were even accredited. I have lived in four different apartments in as many years. You could say I move around a bit.

 

After three years in one place, I get a little stir crazy. I have been in Austin for four years and I am losing my mind. I had to add a girlfriend and a dog to my life to keep from wondering off.

 

So while at work, I dream of nomading off someplace new. My job permits me a lot of Internet time and I have found many places I want live. With one exception, these are not dreamy locations. They are blue-collar towns in the rust belt. Many of them are wastelands.

I don't know what it is about the towns time has passed by that I like so much.

I think it's the architecture.

I look at pictures of these places, all dreary and cold with old buildings. They look like the places where you’d see Jimmy Stewart or Humphrey Bogart walking around the corner at any moment, wearing a trench coat and a fedora. They look like places that are full of "dames" and "broads."

I know, I know. These places are more likely full of "hoes” and "bitches." I know that I am holding onto the fantasy of Film Noir, not the reality of urban decay. But if I am going to hold onto a fantasy, why not one with fedoras, trench coats, short ties, and no Target stores?

Don't get me wrong.  I love Target. I would just rather live in a 1940's world that does not have them. Where people listen to the radio, and Popeye is still in the paper 

I'm not sure I want to move to a new place as much as 1937. 

Man, I have really gone off track. I was here to introduce the places that I have fallen in love with over the Internet. Hopefully this was helpful. Hopefully the following posts are funny. 

This is going to be an intermittent series. I have no idea how long it will take, nor how many other things I will post in between. 

Here is the list of places though.

Baltimore, Maryland

Duluth, Minnesota

Boise, Idaho

Boone, North Carolina

The Cayman Islands

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

New Orleans, Louisiana

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Savannah, Georgia

Mentone, Alabama

Not Jacksonville.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I would want to love in Jacksonville =|

Anonymous said...

I say, we build a 1940's commune with other like-minded folk. buy a huge peice of land, it will be just like Stepford wives except that it will be 40's instead of 50's, the women will not be robots, and not quite as high tech. So really, absolutely nothing like stepford wives, but you get the idea. I know several people who would take an interest in this. We can all breed and start the 40's all over again ( you know without all the war and holocousts and such.)